Sunday, March 8, 2015

Participation report in Twitter chat

Participation report in Twitter chat_
Promote and reading and literacy

Hashtag #titlechat
Participated Twitter chat: Promote and reading and literacy (every week Sunday 8 pm)

I have been quite interested in students’ performance in literacy task such as writing dialogic journals and peer-share reading and writing. I believe they can make our student’s literacy ability improved. However, the thing is students are reluctant to read assigned reading materials because they were boring. When they were poor at reading classroom material which can be good sources for their wiring, their journal or short essays could not express exactly what they really wanted to say through their writing. When I have taught in English for a year in Korea before coming to the US, I have concerned choosing reading materials to be read with ease and interest. For this reason, I asked this concern via Twitter chat. Some experienced teachers answered and recommended.





I think Twitter chat had pros and cons. In terms of providing educational sources, it could be a good channel. Actually, when I asked how to choose the appropriate reading materials, some experienced teacher recommended the reading materials name and useful links. But there are also a lot of deceptive advertisements which distracted teachers.

In addition, in case of some Twitter chat which people rarely come and go, teachers can even a piece of useful source or advice with that Twitter chat room. The one I participated in was also very ’quiet’, so even if I posted my questions, teachers rarely answered or the speed of their answering was too slow. In this case, it can be time-consuming for teachers who want to get some useful information. If teachers want a lot of sources about what they are interested, they had better navigate first which Twitter chat provide them and how many people usually participate in it. In this sense, I agree just partially Twitter chat can be a good source of professional development.




2 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you chose a poorly attended Twitterchat. What a shame since there are so many good ones. I hope you will try again sometime. ELTchat on Wednesdays would be a good one to try, but I would look at the latest posts with the ELT hashtag to be sure what time in the US, the next chat would be. Even without attending a chat, you could post your inquiry about reading material to that group using the #ELT hashtag and you might get some good answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Burgos, thank you for the advice. I will find another Twitter chat session next time.

    ReplyDelete